Saturday, July 22, 2006

The not so secret life of the unemployed..

For many, unemployment is a time of panic and uncertainty. Pouring painfully over job websites, sitting impatiently next to the phone, the unemployed are ready to drop everything to attend a spur of the moment interview.

Not this girl. In my case, unemployment is a rollercoaster of self-amusement. I started my epic by watching three straight days of television. My daily routine consisted of falling out of bed a few hours past noon, crawling to the kitchen to make breakfast, which I would eat on the couch. After shoveling nutrients into my famished body, I'd stay on the plush lime green sofa until I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. At which point, I would move back to my bed. Record, fast-forward, click, and repeat.

At the end of day three, I decided that I had caught up on the three years of television that I had missed while slaving away for school or film production. And found a friend, more like my roommates, and went to a bar. Social drinking is another past time that I have had very little time to indulge in. My first realization: bars just aren't the same without an impermeable cloud of cigarette smoke. My second was that I am not in New York anymore. I have been so busy working since I arrived in LA that I just haven't given much thought to the change of social scene. Case in point: No designer labels or stilettos necessary. Maybe a few places in Hollywood or up in the Hills might require a killer pair of sling backs but at Molly Malones or any other local pub, flip flops are acceptable footwear. And better yet, you barely do any walking in said flip-flops. So unlike the stilettos culture of New York, your feet aren't as hung over as you are the next day. Overall, the night was unexciting. But to the newly unemployed, the lack of excitement only made it better.

Once motived off the couch, I began to run errands, pay bills, and make peace with the ocean. After a few days of playing beach volleyball and surfing, the sun had sprinkled a sufficient amount of happy nutrients into my system and I felt at ease.

It's a ruff life for the unemployed. Meeting new people, actually cooking diner, reading, or going for a nice long run.

My unemployment has been like a vacation. And like any good vacation, I will have a heart attack and fall rapidly into reality when my bank account dries up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home