Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Tourists take pictures of surfer chicks

As all hobbies start, it was about a boy. I met this wonderful guy who happened to have a passion for surfing and more importantly multiple surfboards. About two months ago, I picked up an advanced short board and paddled my way into the ocean. I learned how to dive through waves, paddle till my arms fall off, rock a rashguard, and not get myself killed by other surfers; the lay of that land as I call it... or maybe the lay of the sea.

After paddling around for a few days, I had no desire to get up on my board. Instead, I chose to splash around in the "kiddie pool" that lies some where in between the crashing waves and the sandy shore. By the second weekend, I realized that you could actually ride the white water. I paddled, pushed up on the board, and it sunk. Again...and still I couldn't get my feet out of the water fast enough. The ocean was propelling the ship but everytime the ship just went down. How do people manage to poetically turn and fight monster waves without sinking? As a newbie to the sport, I assume it is all my fault.

Novice Note: It is best to learn on a big board. The bigger, the better. Foam, floatie, big, and blue is ideal choice, a true beginner board.

You don't have to have a sleek, stickered board to look bad a%%. If anything, you look like a jerk when you hope in the water with an expert board and then plop yourself in the way of surfers who actually know what they are doing.

Big Foamy Blue will never fail you...hot Australian surf coaches will stop and give the unsuspecting surfer chick free advise, experienced surfers will give you pointers on picking the good waves, and you may actually stand up! There is a certain patients extended to those who are bold enough to sport the beginner board. Embrace it!


And beware of tourist..they have been known to ask questions that seem to have no answer and often take pictures of you and your newfound hobby! I think pictures of me and borrowed surfboards will travel the world before I learn to stand up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home