Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Jim and Jules

I don't know what stops anyone from holding interest in one person. Yesterday...after many months of working long days, I was home watching television. I found myself hypnotized by a French film from the early 60's. Jim and Jules, I think it was called. It was about these two best friends who fall in love with the same woman. One marries her and they are both called to war on opposite sides. Desperately afraid of killing a dear friend, they both managed to survive the war.

Several years later the friends meet again and Jim, falls desperately in love with Jules wife. Who as it turns out, cannot settle at all. This woman creates pain between these friends and constantly runs off to other lovers. Nothing seems to fill her. No man or child would please her passions. So she would find momentary bliss, hold onto it until it faded, and move on.

I realized as I watched the hours of deception and intrigue pass that I knew the passion that this woman possessed. In many ways I understood how a woman acclimated to city life can be bored of one person so easily, even the most splendid and adventurous man. A city filled with art and culture offers many distractions to a woman. It is hard to focus on one neighborhood or culture when there are so many people to meet and interesting things to see.

I also think that at a certain point in all relationships, lovers become accustom to the other and do not feel that they need to challenge or impress their mate. I think it is horribly natural, but that is the nature that must be challenged and overcome for people like me. And you as well.

Sadly, fleeting passion and instability often risk life long happiness. The woman in the film would never be able to stop and settle with just one man, and that would torture her soul forever. I on the other hand have given up on trying to find a man to please my passions, partly because I realize there are very few that exist.

Well, enough of that....

1 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Blogger R.R. said...

All time juciest post right here. Good stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home