Sunday, February 12, 2006

Snow Man

The snow started falling in a slow blacket just before dark. Recovering from a long work week, I was justing getting out and about when it started. I went grocery shopping and for a quick jog. By the time I went out for the night, a few inches had piled up and soles of my cowboys boots would slide across patches of packed powder.

My friend, well mentor really, was spinning at a club on the lower eastside. The center of the party was the lovely Frieda, also a business associate whom I admire, celebrating her birthday. Former bosses and co-workers of mine sprinkled the narrow bar, many bringing along friends and girlfriends. I went solo.

Being single for me is an uncurable disease. I meet guys I like, but will never really commit. Part of my problem is that I am not always interested in guys who are interested in me. And even if I was mutually interested, I don't know if I even want to be tied down. I'm far to adventurous for my own good and monotony bores me.

Forty minutes pass and I have given up on finding an open cab. The buses are not running and the snow is more than ankle deep. I realize that I am now going to have to hit the subway, which is by no mean close the my current location.

I head up to Houston still half looking for a cab. As I cross Second Ave., I bump into this guy freezing on the corner. He's wearing a pink button down shirt, a thin sports coat, jeans an loafers...in the SNOW.

"Want to split a cab? I'm going far up..."he said to me. I laugh freezing from under my parka and say "If you can find one I have been looking for 40 minutes."

"What do we do?" he askes out of desperation. "I'm going to the subway" and he followed. I feel like we had a mini-adventure in the cold. My toes where wet and I was miserable...and I was the one wearing a parka. But as it turns out, this guy was very sweet, honest, hard-working, and lives a few blocks from me "far up" town.

The city is a big place and sometimes I wonder how I would even go out finding a suitable guy if I DID want to share my time with some one. Interesting... how sometimes I just need to let them find me.

1 Comments:

At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy valentines day. I hope you cure your disease.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home