Monday, January 30, 2006

Canadian made Tourism

Brokeback' Sparks Interest in Wyo. (By JENNIFER BYRD Associated Press Writer)

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) -- Fans of "Brokeback Mountain" don't seem to care the movie was actually filmed in Canada.

They want the Wyoming experience.

The Wyoming Business Council's travel and tourism department has received hundreds of calls asking about scenery in the movie, which is based on Pulitzer Prize-winner Annie Proulx's short story about two gay Wyoming cowboys....



As some one employed by American film and television, I tend to restrain from watching American made films from Canada. I personally enjoy the country and have no beef against anyone who lives or works there, but its bad for business for me to support Canadian made film.

On principal, I have not yet seen the film though I have heard plenty about it. The AD staff jokes about fake love affairs, many of the grips joke about it love within the crew, and the background actors have passed along good reviews.

Meanwhile, I have been trying not to listen to all the buzz because I'll never want to see it myself if all I do is hear about Heath Ladger's "amazing performance". I'm sure that I will eventually see Brokeback on DVD.

At this point in my jealous rant, it is important for me to point out my own hypocraicy. Capote was also a film about the one of the middle state of America and was also made in Canada, a fact I did not know until I watched the credits roll. Visually, I believed that Capote was filmed in Kansas. The landscapes were breath taking and I have never been to Kansas so who am I to know the difference.

Granted watching Capote didn't make me want to hop on a plane and go to Kansas, I can see how the popularity of both Capote and Brokeback may inspire Americans to explore the middle lands.

At least Canadian film is generating American business somewhere. If any one ends up visiting the great state of Wyoming, let me know if it looks any different than the Canadian version in the film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home