Sunday, January 15, 2006

Jam Cruise

Billy G is sound asleep on my futon couch. Feet cold as they poke out of my white cotton blanket in my drafty space. "Billy" I scream from the other room. "Biil''lll'yy" I wildly taunt him, making noises and flashing the lights. No response. No Movement. Not even a flinch.

A long time friend, who once posed as my husband in high school sex ed., Billy G called me early this afternoon. We grabbed a bite at Fetch, a doggie themed restaurant a block from my place, and caught up on recent times. This summer, when he lived at his uncle's a few blocks from my pad, Billy G was a welcomed staple in my home but I haven't really seen or talked to him since.

He's lost weight since high school. His pants have gotten more form fitting and they are not his trademark home stitched corduroy that he darned back in the day. His hair is still nappy with dreads about shoulder length. But, Billy G is no hippy. In comparison to most, he's the biggest hippy I know (mostly because of his music choices and medicinal habits) but he is going places. Billy G. recently graduated college unlike many of my friends from high school. But for now, he lays passed out on my couch.

And I let him because Billy is a victim. A victim of life and of insanity. A victim of Jam Cruise.

Billy G spun into town late last night on business, serious business involving a recently acquired lady friend. I spent the greater part of this afternoon hearing the endless brouhaha that is Jam Cruise. Basically, it is a cruise a week after New Year's that allows field frolicking folks from the country to flock to warmer climates and jam to their favorite bands, who like them are trapped aboard ship for the week. Each band plays twice once at night and once in the afternoon and their are stages built all over the ship so that you can pretty much listen to live music all day, night, afternoon, midday.

And it only happens once a year. Billy a three-time veteran had me sold into next year's Voyage about 30 minutes into our convoy. I'm a huge cruise fan as it is, but Jam Cruise takes the Cake for me. Music, mania, no sleep, and all the food you can eat...

This is a life a rarely live, though Billy sucks me in from time to time. He invites me to follow his favorite bands from time to time, see festivals, and go to shows. I barely ever go... you know how it is maintaining that busy New York life and all. But, I feel like Jam Cruise is not to be missed...maybe next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home