Tuesday, December 27, 2005

American Bull Dog

I spent this holiday season in rural New Hampshire with my family. The day after Christmas my sister and her boyfriend met up with my immediate family and my grandparents house. They pulled up in her boyfriend's new truck and out of the back seat hoped out her 95 pound moose dog. My sister calls her Lily or lily bean and I decided this mut has no personality traits that warrant the name Lily so I just call her Bean.

Bean has a sort of carmel chocolate swirl coloration, a smooshed piggy nose, and flappy lips. She's just about one of the dumbest things I have ever met, bet she is sweet so it is hard not to love her.

I don't know why but Lily Bean feels it necessary to bark at most men. My dad, my uncle, and to a certain extent my grandfather would be greeted with growls and howls from the pooch as they came and went. My childhood dog used to do this; bark at men she was unfamiliar with or felt threatened by. I would think maybe this is a female protective thing or maybe it was just in both of their nature's to find men unworthy of instant trust and affection.

Being a female myself Lily bean had no problems trusting me. She always tried to hop up into my bed after my sister left, which of course was not allowed. She would also sit in front of you and look at you just long enough for you to start petting her, at which point lily bean would go belly up and expect a full tummy massage. I will admit I fall guilty of her puppy charms.

Today I decided to go ice skating on the lake in front of my grandmother's house. The next door neighbor's who I tend to skate with were running errands in town (about 45 minutes away) so I decided to go by myself. Which didn't last long, Lily bean was out playing in the snow. When she spotted me on the ice, she came barreling down the hill and started chasing my back and forth on the ice.

I would try to fool the dumb dog and turn fast or suddenly change directions but I was no challenge for her speed.

So she decided to fool me. I was skating toward the dog at full speed when crash. She shoved her head up my parka and I went flying face first onto the ice. She brought me down and I stayed there with tears of laughter.

One point for you Lily bean. I must say for a dumb dog she sure makes a fine companion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home