Monday, December 26, 2005

King Kong

I've never been able to sit through all of Lord of the Rings. I may have seen the first one in a condensed television version. But most people who know me know that I can't sit still for more than a half an hour unless I am sleeping. I can't play Monopoly and I don't have the attention span for epics. Sorry Peter Jackson, I think your work is brilliant and your use of CAG to create emotional and motivated characters within an actor driven film is commendable.

I think that Peter Jackson has done for the younger generation what George Lucas did with the original Star Wars trilogy. At times the technology seems flawless and the realism that is created within a fantasy world enables the viewer to enter that world for themselves. Jackson's films challenge the imagination and asks their viewer to stay awhile; to escape from their jobs, children, wives, or studies and become a member of the party, crew, or fellowship.

But three hours... You really have to help me out here. Going into King Kong, I knew the film would require not only a soda, but a bucket of popcorn and a bag of candy. I would have be considerate of the other people who were crowding into the theatre with me. According to what I believe to be proper movie theatre etiquette, for three whole hours I would need to observe these two practices: minimize figiting and resist all urges to direct any opinions at the movie screen.

Being a Cinema Studies minor and a movie enthusiast, I have spent many hours in a movie theatre. I have been annoyed by many who have not observed proper etiquette.

One Hour and forty minutes pass. Naomi Watts it almost eaten by a bug, lava, scorpion. The predators get meaner and bigger and for about 20 minutes the blonde bombshell runs from almost being eaten. That is until (not to spoil it for any one who hasn't seen the film... but it is slightly obvious especially if you have ever seen or even heard of the original) Kong comes to her rescue.

Kong fights the monster or the minute and is out number. For the next 10 minutes, Kong fights to save his lovely lady from being eaten.

10 minutes into digitally mastered monster-on-monster action. "Oh come on" I say loud enough for 6 rows in either direction to hear me.

Oops...

I'm sorry but really 25 minutes of watching Naomi Watts almost get eaten is enough.

But then I remember that this movie is Epic.
I should not ever be allowed to view epics in public.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home