Saturday, February 18, 2006

Man Hunt

"Khsht... If your lucky (forced heavy breaths mixed with static)... you are only a plane ride away."

Sitting in the corner with my walkie clenched against my chest, I could hear screams and laughter coming from the jail cell. Footsteps become louder and louder. My heart races as my body fights to be still.

"I know you are in here." The voice taunts me.

I hear his every breath tingling down my spine as he searches the dark shadows for the slightest movement. I remain paralyzed with anxiety.

As slowly as they came, the echos of the thick soled shoes become fainter.

"Still don't know where I am, do you?" I whisper into the walkie, then bury the speaker into my chest.

"If your lucky....khskt...you are only a plane ride away."

I slide onto my back and crab crawl under the chair and out from beneath the ADA office desk. My elbow bangs the chair, the chair bangs the floor.

Afraid of being found, I freeze. Not a sound can be hear except faint giggles from the jail cell.

I walk on the balls of my feet, lightly pressing each rubber sole to the floor as I clear the side enterance. Exposing myself to the hunter, I cling close to the cell walls moving swiftly through Riker's.

I need to turn the corner to reach the holding cell. Silence. Not a word or living pulse can be heard in the darkness. This last turn could end me. It could be a point blanke martyrdom. Or... it could make me a hero.

I pause a moment and gather my fears. Then thrust myself forward into opening that leads to the cell gate. Freeing my teamates who have grown bored of being held captive behind painted wooden bars, we walk briskly to find new dark corners of the stage to hide in.

The girls team beat the guys that night. Never being able to put all three girls in jail at once. In two hours, I had freed both teamates twice and landed in the holding cell once for hiding in what might have been the most obvious place (under the cold metal bunk beds in Riker)

"Khsht...if your lucky..." You will one day run rampant on an abandoned TV set. Putting your cares aside and feeling the pure emotions and fears of your childhood all over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home