Friday, July 23, 2004

Religous or Suspicious??

NYT- Religious Message Halts Train

NEWARK, July 22 - For 90 minutes on Thursday morning, passengers aboard an Amtrak train headed to New York and Boston were questioned and videotaped as the seven cars were searched after a note containing Muslim and anti-Semitic phrases was found in a bathroom.
No arrests were made at Pennsylvania Station in Newark, where the train was stopped just before 8 a.m., but all 450 passengers were asked to give their names, addresses, Social Security numbers and other information. They were videotaped before being allowed to continue.


This article disturbed me. First of all, I go through Newark Penn Station a few times a month to go home (I'll actually be going there today). The trip (Path Train platforms and the NJ Transit station) is dampered by postings about suspicous activity and how it is my duty to report it. Usually, I do my best to ignore it. I have seen this same sign dozens of times. But some times, I just want to scream 'leave me alone'. I get the point. If I see anything I'll let you know. Just let me space off and relax on my trip home because I've had a long day, week, month, and this is my vacation. You pay plenty of policemen and train officials to keep an eye out so let me have this hour to myself.

Besides the fact that society is trying to make me scared, to make me feel like I should always be alert and attentive, I am really upset that these passengers were videotaped and barraded for information by police. I feel like I am tracked and recorded every where I go. My image isn't my own any more and security cameras tape my every move. Amtrack should have had a record of who was on that train. But, instead the police and FBI bardged in and delayed every passanger because they found a angry note in a "terrorist" language. I think that this is absurd! But, due to my current cynical mood, I am going to refrain from further discussion on the topic. Just think about though. Imagine being on that train. Do you think that it would make you feel safe that the police where investigating this note or do you think it will make you uneasy to travel and scared into submission.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home