Monday, July 19, 2004

Cuppa Cuppa

  Strawberry Rhubarb pie. That is all I have to say. As a kid, my greatgrand mother (gran memee) always had it on her kitchen table. My gandmother (memee) and grandfather(peppee) would make it fresh from the garden. I never liked it, but I never hated it. It was something I ate out of love for them. 
  Today I was walking across east fourth street and I found this small coffee shop, Cuppa Cuppa (between 2nd and 3rd Ave) . I was actually on my way to campus and had thought about stopping at Starbucks but a few years ago, I made a pact to support local business as much as possible. I was greeted by a middle aged woman with a browning smile. When I asked her about the pie, she told me that as the owner she thinks all of her food is good. This is pretty much a typical response. I ordered a slice (even though last time I had strawberry rhubab pie in NY .. at Tinie's -Moby's sandwich shop.. I hated it) and my usual chai blended with ice. The shop was friendly. A few people came and went as I sat at one of the table. Each of them appeared to be regulars. She knew their name and where they worked, how they liked thier coffee, and she gossiped about so-and-so finally switching to D-caf. I sat waiting for my pie and I actually talked to the other costumers as they came and went. I find this rare in NYC coffee shops; to sit down and talk about a theather near by that is starting up a new production or where I grew up and the state of economy there. It was lovely. I only stayed a little while. Honestly, if I stayed any longer I think my alter ego as a self-involved New Yorker would have ruined the few moments that I enjoyed there.
  The moral of this story is that the store isn't getting business. It is centered between two theathers, neither of which is in production. I could tell that this woman was worried about her business. She never said it, but i felt it. I want to do her service and thank her for the pie. So to any one who reads this, please remember your local businesses. By the way, the pie was killer.... it reminded me of home.          

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home