Tuesday, July 20, 2004

graffiti exhibit

  So after reading the mole people, I became interested in subway and public graffiti art. I have always seen tags in ally ways and thought that it seemed a little silly to sign your name all over the city. What does that accomplish? If you want to make a name for yourself do something worth public recognition. But on the other hand, I think that the danger of being caught and the time constraint create a pure form of emotion. I looked deeper into the philosophy behind tagging and saw that while most people use only names, some create art. They paint the town to beautify it, to imperfect it, to show that color is art. 
  Although I still don't agree with tagging for the sake of self recognition, I think graffiti is an amazing art form. I heard about an exhibit going up so I decided to support the surpressed art. There where two that I had heard of; one uptown some where and another on essex. My friend found the flyer for the essex one so we decided to go. NOT an exhibit at all. Despite the flyer found at Spring St. art studio, which you would think top be a legitimate source for art information, it turns out the place was just a cafe with some art work on the wall. It wasn't graffiti, it wasn't even pictures of grafitti. It was paintings and drawing of what graffiti usually looks like on a subway wall. Ummm.... not to mention you couldn't really even look at it because the small cafe, that advertises itself to be a gallery also, was no bigger than 300 square feet. So I had to stretch my neck over tables where people were eating to look at the art renditions that where "on display". Sunshine Factory Cafe and Gallery I give you a thumbs down for your deciet. But on a happy note, I saw these guys eatting what looked to be a very satisfying tuna sandwich. To bad, I had just ate lunch.    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home