Sunday, August 29, 2004

Convention Turning World Upside Down

I went into a coffee shop across the street from my bank. When the iced beverage hit the humid morning air, sweat from the caffine and cream dripped down my hand. I realized that napkins were nessecary to not only now, but when I walked outside because I am sweating just as much as the coffee. As I turned around, I saw a 60ish man wearing a wodden barrel. He was standing in his skivvies, strapped into a barrel, holding an anti-Bush sign. Not that i thought this was particuallarly odd. I have seen much weirder in this part of Manhattan.

But, for what ever reason, this old man really pissed me off. I don't think it was him, but what he was doing. Taking over me city. Getting in my way. I can't get a napkin because this geezer and his barrel are in my way.

These feeling of anger are definately and over reaction and I recognize this. But, at the end of the day, I can't walk two feet without seeing some chaos related to the convention.

NYU starts school next week and the freshman were thrown into these riots like rabbits to the wolves. Upper classman can't move in because of the expected riots in Union Square. Students from abroad schedules their tickets back to class months ago, and now they are being harassed and delayed at the airport. Just to get to school and be harassed and delayed by police trying to get to their dorm. When they get to their dorm, there is more harassment and delays on account of every person who works at the dorm had been subject to harassment and delays all day long and now they have no sympathy for anyone.

In the months before the convention, most New Yorkers were warning me to just get out. Anyone who doesn't have to be here this week, flock to the burbs of the beach. Me and my silly mind thought, I'm not going to let this bother me. Nothing this convention brings will effect me drastically. Honestly, I believe that to be true. Still, a day before the convention, I don't think I am going to be threatened or harmed in any way by protests or the sea of supporters or protesters. But, when there are people sleeping on the grass of the church yard near my house, I can't walk ten feet without seeing an anti-bush t-shirt, pin, banner, sign, sicker, man in a barrel, I want them to get the heck out of my city.

I support the anti- Bush cause. I think that there needs to be a grand display of opposition towards Bush and his campaign. But not in my city. Please leave. Make your grand display some where else. The streets of New York of crowded and bazaar enough without a political cause.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home