Sunday, August 29, 2004

Beat Bush

They stand on every corner looking young and innocent. Clipboard in hand, the "Beat Bush" sticker can be seen from half a block away. I first bumped into a "Beat Bush" collector four or five months ago west of campus. They are the greenpeace, the international childrens foundation, the people who are supporting a cause who have spent days in training on the proper tactits of raping and pillaging the city streets. "Would you like to save a life today", "Do you have a minute for greenpeace", "Would you like to Beat Bush"? As a matter of fact, I would. I would like to help you and all your causes. But, now, I walk coldly past anyone with a clip board. I have stopped and listen to what you had to say before. I have used up all of my minutes. I know where your websites are.

Actually, I do have allot of respect for people who are willing to repeat the same five words all day, get snubbed by almost every passerby, and fight to grab some ones attention. It is a really difficult job especially, if it's for a good cause. But ever since my roommate for last semester was offered a street side promotions job, I have known that these people "donating their time" for a cause are not only getting paid near or close to $10 an hour, but they also get a cut of the donations they take.

Yesterday, after all the "Beat Bush" harassments, months of staring straight ahead and plowing down the street, past the clipboards and the matching t-shirt, for every block, on every corner, everywhere I go, some one asked me, "Would you like to help elect John Kerry today." Same story different tune. What I'm interested in is why did they give up the "Beat Bush" campaign? Is it because of the convention? I was talking to my roomate and she said that all the one man, independent, curb-side donation "stations" have been asking her to "support Kerry" too. Which, is my reason #2 for why I believe that this convention is turning my world upside down. The change of pattern, the irregularity of something as small as these curb-side fixtures has thrown me for a loop. This is only the beginning.

I am almost interested on how tommorow, the first day of the convention, is going to work out. But, I am going to be watching from afar. Real far. Possibly downtown or Jersey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home