Friday, July 30, 2004

Peachy Cuisine

Last night I was in the mood to cook, which doesn't happen often. But when it does, my friends thank me. Not only do I have to cook for myself, but when in these moods, I make extravagant meals that must be shared with others. Once I made a turkey stuffed with apple raisins and sausages. Other times I made pie; Sheppard’s pie, pumpkin pie, cheesecake with a walnut crust(not that its a pie but the process is similar). I don't know where these moods come from or what possesses me to cook these particular recipes that I concoct in my head.

Last night it was chicken marinated in fresh peaches honey and walnuts. I started the sauce on the stove with a little flour to thicken it up and then poured it onto the chicken before baking. I had never had fruit with chicken before. I've had fruit with pork, turkey, ham, but never chicken. I think that was part of my rational for peachy chicken. Any way, the chicken was soft and tender, like nothing I have ever tasted. Alone the chicken was boring. You had to eat each piece with some nuts and peaches. As it mixed in my mouth, I dreamed of Thanksgiving or dining in a four star restaurant.

I matched the chicken with fettuccini alfredo, broccoli, and come Yeingling (Mostly, because that’s what we had in the apartment). Everything seemed to harmonize on the white ceramic plates. The creamy alfredo toned down the sweetness of the chicken and complimented the peach flavor. The broccoli added some color and nutrition to the meal. And the beer made everything taste that much better.

Fruit with chicken, not so bad. Since its not commonly done, it takes some adjusting. My roomate's boyfriend said it best when he warned me that "chicken is supposed to be spicy". Buffalo, marinara, breading, marinating in dressing and spices all add spicy to your chickens after life. But, try throwing some fruit one there for a surprising summer treat!

Here's a site with a complete list of ways that fruit enfuse and tenderize your chicken!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home