Thursday, July 29, 2004

Running in the Rain

Yesterday I forgot to tell you about my amazing running experiences. It was 6am and I was just starting the feel my hang over from the night at Sin Sin and I have had three cups of coffee at 2 am so I couldn't sleep. I jolted out of bed and made the decision to run. I haven't really ran since early this year. I use elliptical or ride a bike, but I haven't felt like a run. (Running is really something you have to be in the mood for because the pain afterward makes it a little less rewarding). I've been slacking on the exercise in general lately. Moving into a new apartment (forth floor walk-up) in June left my body aching till mid-July. But, at 6:15 I jogged out of the apartment, disc man playing the Oasis Album "What's the Story Morning Glory", and decided that I was going to find the East River Park.

I tried to find it a few times before but ended up getting lost in some really slummish areas on the east side so I made a uptown loop up second that worked just as well. It was misting, then raining. I ran over to C and there was no way to continue east. The Con Ed plant was blocking off all of the cross streets. So I ran north, which lead me straight on to the East River Park. AT this area of the park, it is just street to run or bike. I used to nanny right off of the West Side highway and that park there has grass lining the running route for part of the way. I ran up to the 34th St. exit of the FDR and then down to the 15th Street exit before running back to where I entered the park.

The thing about running early in the morning in the rain is the people who run by you. They are all in peak condition and are eased by this mornings perseverance. You have to be incredible dedicated or insane to run at 6am. And to run at 6am in the rain brings you to a whole different category. I really admired these people. I wondered why they were doing this and was jealous that never in my life would I be motivated enough to do the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home