Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Sighting: MTV Celeb from five years ago

Last night I was out celebrating the 21st birthday on one of my oldest and dearest friends (since sophmore year of college). At Sin Sin we had all we needed; $4 well drinks, $3 beer, and 80's music to ring in his 21st year. We reserved a section in the back and I mingled, beer in hand, with a lot of people who I didn't know. Most of them weren't from the city which is a change for me. Im used to New Yorkers. The longer you here, the more you and all of your friends turn into New Yorkers. A crowd, mostly in their mid-thirties, was clogging up the dance floor. For some reason, drunk people in their mid-30's really let lose to George Micheals.

I met a guy from U Penn, who of course lied about his age, and talked for a bit because dancing was out of the question. Or at least I thought it was for fear of becoming one of THEM. I bought another beer, actually pushed my way onto the dance floor and made a drunken fool of myself, before I decided to leave. U Penn guy came with me. He wanted to "walked in the rain" and I wanted to go to the diner. I won. Any way, on the way back to the party, Mark Magraff walked by. He was walked with a half a dozen freinds, arms hanging over their shoulders out of pure enjoyment of their company. The tattoo on his right bisep is exposed, which makes his identity undeniable. U Penn boy realizes that its him, as do I. I keep walking and he falls behind. Oh no. He's not going to. Oh, he is. Damn it! I hate it when people do this. "Hey are you Mark Magrath?" I hear from about 15 paces behind me.

The moral of this story is that it's awkward and embarassing to be stopped becasue you are or at one time were "famous". As a New Yorker, it is also uncomfortable to be with the person who is doing the stopping. My personal philosophy has always been to leave the celebs. be. Thats why they live here. They just want to be one of the guys... but in nicer cloths, with bathrooms tha size of my apartment, and with more exciting lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home