Thursday, July 29, 2004

Thoe Most Wonderful Time of the Year...

...is when all of the left-overs from last years designers go on sale!! I walked around the East Village today going in and out of shops and every one was having %50 sales. I went to Meg on 9th street between 1st and 2nd. I had read about the store in a magazine, one of the main stream ones like Cosmo. I went a few weeks ago but didn't get anything because I wasn't in the buying mood. It is a really cute shop. The clothes are on the dressy side. I bought black dress pants($80) with brown sailor-like buttons that come up diagonally off of each hip. I also bought a baby blue, knee length, strapless dress ($20) that was made of the most interesting material, a fitted black long sleeve top ($20), and a multi-season sports coat($50). Great finds and the sale prices made the store easy to swallow. The customer service was great too. Meg wasn't there. A friend of hers was watching the store for a week, but last time I had some guy and he was just as fabulous. I rummaged through a bin or two, tried on over a dozen items, and chatted with the sales woman. I was there for over an hour and it was very relaxing and valued experience.

I also went to another store on the same block as Meg (i don't remember the name)but the clothes were not my taste. They seemed old fashion funky, but nothing was in my size and it was way over priced (even on sale). My next stop was min-k on 11th (between 1st and 2nd) I loved most of their clothes but they are tailored for people with Asian frames. I am an American size 6, 29 waist, and I could not fit into their size Mediums. I mean I couldn't get them over my thighs in order to attempt buttoning. It was such a sad venture. But, the sale prices weren't that bad. Between $40 and $100 for almost everything in the store.

My last and final stop was by far my favorite. I'm sure I will be a frequent visitor from now on. Tokeo Joe is a vintage and consignment store on 11th a few store east of Min-k. Nothing was "on sale" but the price were beyond reasonable. They had really variety of clothes. No two items were the same. I loved the selection of pants that they had. I ended up buying three pairs; Marc Jacobs navy blue pin strip dress pants ($60), a pair of miss sixty jeans($14), and DKNY green urban army-style pants(under $20). I also found this amazing coat($21). It was bright red and fitting... it looked like something out of a fashion magazine. I didn't recognize the designer though. It had big red buttons off to the left side. and one of those belt that goes around the waist to show off the physique. I LOVE it... no word can explain. I got a few shirts two. They are really different.

It was exciting to find clothes that aren't vintage but that seem original. I like getting stuff that isn't this season but still cool. Or wearing something from 5 years ago and being showered with compliments. That’s what my "style" is all about. I have decided that it is "cool" to be trendy and timeless at the same time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home