Friday, August 13, 2004

A.N. Headwear

I was walking on Orchard Street, which is my new favorite place to stroll on my days off, when I came across the cutest hat shop. All the the hat were old fashion, which is in fashion. I saw one in the window that reminded me of something that Robin Hood would where if he lived on the lower east side. I walked in and looked at some of the wool, suede, and straw hats. In the back corner, I found the one on display. I tried it on and it looked surprisingly flattering on me. I'm not really good with hats. They tend to draw to much attention toward or away from my eyes and flush out my already pale skin.

Even more interesting than the hats was the man, late 60, with a strong greek accent who ran the store. I asked him if he made the hats and he told me that he would find them at hat warehouses or hat stores. He tried to find hats that people pushed away and didn't care about. And now decades later, he makes his business off of these unwanted hats. Aris, he called himself, though Aristotle is his real name. "Greek names are to long as I'm sure you now so I made it shorter for America" he told me. Aris came to American when he was seventeen, has a son and daughter who is a decade older than me, and has worked at this hat shop for 35 year.

When I bought this hat, and one other, he was telling me that the hat in the window is one of the few he has left. Apperently some guy came in, bought a few dozen, which was a few less then what Aris had, and sold them on ebay for double his price. Smart business move, but I would hope that you would give this strong business man sume credit. At least give head to his store for finding these hats in the first place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home