Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Day 1- Call 911

"Ok the next shot needs sound."

I was talking to the "bitches" about girly things. I’m sure it had something to do with make up or boys. I heard the clang of metal. It wasn’t loud. It sounded like the hollow clicking of a radiator when the heat kicks on. When I looked behind me, I saw a small crowd forming.

11: 40 am - Rob’s eyes were frozen on mine. With the dolly track resting on his neck, the thirty something year old sound guy was violently flapping under the metal fixture. I watched as his body grinded against the pavement. Blood was staining the cement around his chin and a small pool of vomit was mixing with its dark red pigments.

"Has any one called 911" I timidly asked. Rob’s yellowing eyes were still blankly staring into mine. The cast and crew was standing around him. Several of them had their cell phones in hand, but weren’t really sure what to do. I walked away toward the camera set up and past the truck where we had been shooting. Thankfully, Rob had fallen off set far from heavy electrical equipment and piles of cords and props.

"Hi I am working on a film right now and some one is having a seizure." My phone was breaking in and out of service. I yelled to the group standing around the now unconscious man. "Where are we? I know Brooklyn but what’s the address?"

The operator on the other end of the line was being patient but I could tell he was frustrated by my ignorance and the choppiness of my phone connection. I walked to the far opposite side of set. "I’m sorry I can’t hear you… What’s that again?…Yeah he is unconscious… I don’t know…Thank you."

11:45 am- I heard sirens turning off the main road. "Try to keep him awake. No don’t move him. Just talk and hold his attention. " As the fire truck parked on the opposite side of the narrow street, I greeted the middle-aged men dressed in dusty black fire suits.

"He fell. I was standing next to him. I think he had a seizure and now he’s blacked out."

The fireman walked over to Rob, poking and prodding him to get up.

When the ambulance arrived to the scene, I huddled with the rest of the crew, some silent others trying to keep Rob from losing his focus. "Can you go with him?" Libby the co-producer asked me if I would mind accompanying him in the ambulance. As UPM, it was my duty on set to do so. But, I didn’t know this guy. No one really did. He was an acquaintance of the director and he worked at the school. "Yeah. I’ll go. Not a problem."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home