Wednesday, September 15, 2004

The gods must be crazy

Would you sell me your soul for a dollar? Write it down. I sell confessconcran my soul and upon my death I will receive one dollar. You won't do it right? I wouldn't. Last night I walked into class and this was the first question posed to me. Would I write down and sign a piece of paper that would forfeit my right to my soul? NO, why not? Upon further discussion it was decided that it was not the incomprehensible function of the soul but the writing itself. If I write something down, sign my name, and give it to some one else for safe keeping, I feel as if I am bound to that contract. No matter how ridiculous that contract may seem, It could come back and bite me in the butt at a future date and time.

Another interesting point that Prof. Thaler brought up was the immobility of technology. On one level technology is an "information highway". At first there is an incubation period. It takes time to figure out what this technology is and how it can be used. But once this period has ended, it becomes as necessary to one's environment as the grass and trees that surround them and give them life.

In the film The gods must be crazy, a documentary of sorts that compares a African village to a major African city, the contrast between a civilized and a primal world seems almost humorous. The plot of the film goes as such, some one carelessly drops a coke bottle into a village that thrives of off only that which their land provides. This coke bottle that was "sent from the gods" seems like a gift. It was harder than any material that they had ever known. They could function more efficiently with this bottle made of glass. It played music, smashed roots, and was god for skinning snakes. It seemed to be a multipurpose tool that every one suddenly needed to have.

Does this scenero sound familiar? I can think of more than one example in my life. The Internet, TV, and ipod.

In the conclusion of the segment that we watched, the villagers decide to return this evil coke bottle to the gods. It caused fighting and violence. It was a disruption in their peaceful and simple life style. But how could they smash roots with bone again? After the technology was there, they can always think back to how easy it was. Thus, creating want, sadness, and nostalgia.

Imagine a day with out your cell phone? I'm sure it felt something like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home