Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Scuba Gramps

Last night after work, I went out to New Jersey to visit my parents and my grandparents. My grandfather, a small but passionate man in his early sixties, has recently became overwhelmingly enthused by scuba diving. Yes scuba diving. And what is even stranger than a Scuba Diving Grandfather is one that lives in New Hampshire where there is little to no visibility in the frigid water.

But, I love my grandpa (who I call peppe)and he does have some interesting stories. Last night, he was telling me about this bass who follows him and my uncle around at one particular drop. Apperently, my uncle, who likes to poach anything that moves, has figured out the proper way to hog tie a lobster on the bottom of the ocean. But, the law (which law I'm not to sure. I'm assuming it's a Fish and Game law or a New Hmpshire State law) only allows you to take lobsters whose backs are a certain length. And once captured, you not only need measure the lobster, but also have to check their underbelly to ensure that its not a female with eggs. All this with magnifying googles that pay no justice to the claws clapping in your face.

"Those little buggers run fast" said my Pepee with a hearty chuckle.

This means of catching "a bit to eat" seems a little extreme for my taste. Personally, I'm going to stick to Red Lobster for all my crustacious needs. I don't think I'd be able to eat anything I caught with my own hands. But then again, the only wild life I see in this city are the rats and people walking their dogs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home